Monday, November 22, 2010

Cheese with Macaroni

This is not a bitching post. How can one bitch right before Thanksgiving? There are so many things to be thankful for: whole milk, butter, pasta and 1.5 pounds of cheese amongst them.

Make this recipe. Martha Stewart knows nothing about properly documenting her finances, but that woman knows heart-attack-foodbaby-starchcoma-worthy food.

I used Gruyere and sharp white cheddar and substituted panko for the bread/butter topping (seemed unnecessary- and I was out of bread)


Its all about two things: 1) good quality cheese. 2) patience- let the bechamel thicken!
The 'after' picture does not do it justice at all. It may actually be contradictory:

My only criticisms: I think it was possibly too cheesy but my dinner guests disagreed. I measured the cheese by weight vs cups, so maybe there was too much? I also wish I had let it brown more on top, but I was pressed for time.

This is not your everyday dinner menu item, but it is some serious comfort food. Make it. or come over and I'll make it for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment